- This event has passed.
Autism in the classroom – Supporting Communication
November 10, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm€19
Autism impacts children’s language development, social interaction, and ability to communicate effectively with words. Some children with autism are non-speaking, while others may be more versatile with language. However, verbal children may not be able to communicate effectively at times when they feel anxious or overwhelmed. This webinar, ideal for parents and teachers, with communications expert Silvia Angel will explore ways of creating an environment in school and at home that supports and encourages communication for all. Assisting communication in the classroom will help your students engage, follow instructions and participate more in learning activities. You will learn strategies for communications and how to informally assess your students’ level of language comprehension, which will inform those strategies.
What you will learn:
- How autism impacts language and communication
- How to informally assess children’s level of comprehension
- How to communicate effectively with students with ASD and a language delay
- How to help non-verbal children
- Using visual supports to promote language comprehension
- Using visual supports to reduce frustration and increase interaction and learning