- This event has passed.
Webinar: Support a child experiencing sensory overload using Positive Behaviour Support
October 12, 2021 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm€19
The world is a rich, sensory place, which is usually something that provides interest and colour to our world. But for some children, it can sometimes be too much. This can be something that happens frequently for children with an Autistic Spectrum Condition or with other sensory processing disorders. It can happen often in busy environments, such as in classrooms, or out in public spaces. This webinar is about supporting children who experience the distress of sensory overload and understanding how this is different from a ‘tantrum’. Having this understanding and skills will help a teacher and parents to support a child recover from sensory overload; and also to try to develop strategies to prevent and manage sensory overload using Positive Behaviour Support.
What you will learn:
- What is sensory input
- Why a child’s response to it is different from other behaviours
- What happens to a child when there is too much sensory input
- Interventions to support a young person in managing sensory overload
- How to help a child recover from a sensory overload event
- How to use Positive Behaviour Support to prevent sensory overload