The SPaRCS was created in order to provide teachers with an up to date, accurate, useful and time-saving assessment tool that can be used to quickly identify students that are in need of additional support and intervention and an ideal tool that will identify those that may qualify for access arrangements in their examinations. The SPaRCS can be used in a group setting (e.g. whole class screening) to assess those core academic and thinking skills that students need in order to perform effectively in school and exams – Spelling, Processing Speed, and Reading Comprehension Speed (SPaRCS). The test has been normed with a UK and Irish population and demonstrates excellent reliability.
The main benefits of the SPaRCS are:
- Speedy (administered comfortably in one 40 minute class period!)
- Produces reliable standard scores
- Access Arrangements – apply for 25% extra time, reader, and scribe in the UK
- Reliable –
- Cost effective – Very affordable
- Selective – can identify students in need of intervention that may otherwise fly under the radar
What’s Included in the SPaRCS complete kit?
- 1 x SPaRCS manual
- 1 x 25 pack SPaRCS student response booklets
Watch this short YouTube video on the SPaRCS test:
- Single word spelling test.
- Administration time = 10- 15 minutes approx.
- Description: Examiner orally presents up to 40 single words. Students write the spellings of each. No time limit.
- Letter & digit matching task.
- Administration time = 2 minutes.
- Description: Strict time limit applied. Student works at speed through a basic matching and copying task with alphabet letters and numbers. Accurate timing essential.
Reading Comprehension Speed:
- Short passage reading and cloze test.
- Administration time = 10 minutes.
- Description: Strict time limit applied. Student works at speed reading through a series of short passages with some words missing. The student must read for meaning (comprehension) and circle the correct missing words from a list of 4-5 words supplied with each passage. Accurate timing essential.