The SPaRCS Test is a standardised group or individual test that measures students’ spelling, processing speed and reading fluency skills. Save time by quickly identifying students who may need intervention and require exam access arrangements.
We are proud to have designed and created the SPaRCS Test with the expertise of leading psychologists in the field. Our team identified gaps in current assessment methods and worked closely with these experts to develop a more comprehensive tool that addresses these issues.
SPaRCS is a series of standardised group or individual diagnostic tests that can be used in school to quickly assess core areas of thinking and learning and help identify students needing additional support/intervention and access arrangements.
SPaRCS is a diagnostic test designed for use with school students aged 13 – 18 years old. SPaRCS assesses Spelling, Processing Speed and Reading Comprehension Speed (reading fluency). The test has been carefully designed to suit the busy school day and can be administered by teachers in under 40 minutes. The test has been normed with the UK and Irish populations and demonstrates excellent reliability.
The SPaRCS has been carefully designed to be quick and easy to administer. The test comes with a teacher guide explaining how to administer, mark and score the test.
- Speedy – Administer the whole test in under 40 minutes
- Proactive – early identification of ‘at risk’ students
- Access Arrangements – use as evidence for 25% extra time, readers, and scribes
- Reliable – standardised on over 2000 pupils across the UK & Ireland
- Cost-effective – Affordable whole-school test
- Standardised – provides you with standard scores, percentiles & confidence intervals.
Dr Kate James, Rebecca Good and Trevor James.
13-18 Year Olds
2. Administration Time
Approx. 40 minutes for the entire test
Pen & Paper
4. Restriction Level
5. Suitable For
Teachers, SENCo’s, Psychologists
Group or individual administration 40 minute class
Confidence In Results
Confidence in results
Discover any challenges for all your students
Reports scores, Reader, Scribe, 25% extra time
Analysis of the SPaRCS Test and Access Arrangements
Approved DARE Tests in Rep. of Ireland
What Subtests are in the SPaRCS Test?
The SPaRCS Test contains three primary subtests; Spelling, Processing Speed and Reading Comprehension Speed
- Single-word spelling test.
- Administration time = 10- 15 minutes approx.
- Description: 40 words orally presented to each student
- Letter & digit matching task.
- Administration time = 2 minutes.
- Description: Two-minute timed task. Student works quickly through a clerical matching task using alphabet letters and numbers.
- Short passage reading and closed test.
- Administration time = 10 minutes.
- Description: The student works quickly, reading through a series of short passages with some words missing. The student must read for meaning (comprehension) and circle the correct missing words from a list of 4-5 words supplied with each passage. Accurate timing is essential.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. The Processing Speed AND Reading Comprehension Speed subtests can both be used as evidence for extra time . Spelling subtest can be used as evidence for a Scribe. Reading Comprehension Speed can be used as evidence for 25% extra time
Processing speed (2 min test) and the reading comprehension speed test (10 min) can both be used as evidence for extra time on the JCQ Form 8 for access arrangements in the UK.
The SPaRCS assesses visual processing speed. It is a 2-minute task and is similar to tests found in the WISC and in the SDMT.
No. The SPaRCS does not assess reading comprehension. It does have a reading comprehension speed task where reading comprehension is required; however, this test is designed to test speed not comprehension per se.
1-2 working days Shipping & Handling costs Ireland: €22.50 / £22.50
3-5 working days Shipping & Handling expenses mainland UK: £25
How to Order from Education Elephant
It’s as simple as 1, 2, 3
Choose Your Products
Browse our selection of popular assessments and courses in our shop.
Create Your Account
Once you’ve chosen your product or products, enter your details and qualifications to create your account.
Purchase Your Products
After logging in with your approved account, you will be able to purchase products in our shop
*Please note that some tests have restrictions and can only be purchased by those that have suitable testing qualifications.
Education Elephant4 Tips to Manage ADHD in Your Classroom
The following shortlist illustrates specific ways to manage ADHD behaviour in school...
Education ElephantWhat is the Difference Between Dysprax...
Dyspraxia and Dysgraphia can cause similar or overlapping struggles with writing and fine...
Education ElephantIs the Spelling and Grammar Waiver Used...
A study led by Dr Kate James from Éirim: The National Assessment Agency suggests...
Education ElephantWhat Makes a Good Dyslexia Font?
My name is Bob Hext, and I am the Director of my family-run business of 30 years...
Sarah Guest - UK